An architect is an essential professional in today’s world because they create buildings of all sizes. While architects are easy to find on construction sites, their job is not to build the actual structure. Their job is to plan and design buildings according to the specifications that are set by the owner of the building. When an architect is hired they will address the needs, wants and vision the owner has when it comes to the design of the building. Over the course of several months (or sometimes years) the architect will supply blue prints to the owner in order to make sure the final design is exactly what they want. After the final blueprint is approved, construction companies will be able to get to work creating the actual structure.
Becoming a London Architect
In order to legally earn the title of an architect in London, individuals have to go through seven years of education and training. Architecture schools will lay out the minimum requirements for students when they get started, so they will be able to track their progress as they finish different courses. Each school is different, so discussing goals and courses with a counsellor is important.
- The first step in the process is to go through an undergraduate program that lasts for three years. With this you should earn your Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis on Architecture so that you can move on to the next step.
- Two more years of school in the advanced undergraduate study will be next. This will earn you your Master’s Degree in Architecture.
- After your Master’s Degree is obtained you will need to go through 12 months of professional training, which can be accomplished in many different ways. After completing this training, the Professional Practice and Management in Architecture exam must be taken and passed.
- Finally, after going through all of these steps, candidates can register with the Architects Registration Board to become a qualified and registered member of the Royal Institute of British Architects, the Royal Society of Ulster Architects or the Royal Society of Architects in Wales. After approval they will be able to say they are a London architect!
London Architect Work Schedule and Responsibilities
London architects spend their days doing a wide variety of different tasks. Their responsibilities will depend on how long they have been working as a professional architect and what their role is in the office they work at. Most days will be spent working on things that need to get done for different clients. Below you will find responsibilities that these professionals take on each day, week and month:
- Taking on new clients
- Creating reports for clients
- Performing studies and analysis for projects being done
- Working with property owners to determine what needs to be done
- Finding out what the financial limitations are to a project
- Working with government agencies to find out planning requirements, building laws and other local council constraints
- Making rough sketches of projects
- Creating construction plans
- Creating budgets
- Creating timelines
- Using computer programs to make sure sketches are accurate
- Finding equipment rentals and supplies for the job
- Overseeing construction projects from start to finish
- Helping clients with all needs
An example of a day spent as a London architect includes: checking/sending e-mails, organizing a to-do list, researching and specifying plan details, sending out revised plans, having staff meetings and making client calls. Since the process of designing a structure takes a while, each London architect job will have a different timeline of things that need to get done.
How a London Architect Can Help You
Whether you’re looking to build a breathtaking office building or just a simply remodel your home, a London architect can help. These professionals take on a lot of huge projects, but they do smaller scale projects as well. They enjoy doing different types of projects that allow them to use their expertise and creativity, which opens them up to new opportunities. Once you hire a London architect you can discuss the type of project you’re working on and see what their ideas are for it.
By finding the best London architect, you can get started on making your dream an actual structure. It does take time and a lot of steps, but it’s worth it when you’re able to see the end result. To find a London architect, you simply need to look at those that have proven themselves through the completion of different projects that you can see! By using a London architect with proven experience, you will find that you’re a lot more confident with the project and the hands you have left it in.
Famous Buildings In London That Have a Distinct Architectural Appearance
If you want to see examples of the amazing things that architects can do, then all you have to do is to look outside. There are a lot of amazing buildings that these professionals have been able to design.
The Shard is the tallest building in the UK and was designed by London architect Renzo Piano. It has 87 stories and stands 1,004 feet high. The design of this is unique because it has a spire shape that has a spiral-like internal structure.
Westfield Shopping Centre
Designed by Kimberley Sheppard and Michael Gaballini, this is one of the largest shopping centres in London. It has a glass canopy at the top that reaches 43 acres to let in the most natural light. The walls inside are curved to give the building a warm and welcoming feeling to shoppers. It has six floors, a huge parking lot and a designer section that is sure to be noticed in ‘The Village’.
Walkie Talkie Building
The ‘Walkie-Talkie’ building, otherwise known as 20 Fenchurch Street, is a skyscraper that has a curved design and 37 stories. Architect Rafael Vinoly was responsible for designing this building, which was given its name due to the shape it has of a walkie talkie!
Although most people refer to this as the “Gherkin Building”, it’s otherwise known as 30 St. Mary Axe. It’s a skyscraper that has a unique bullet-shaped design and two different eye-catching colours of glass. Foster and Partners were the group responsible for designing this building that stands 180 metres tall. It has 41 floors and a design that actually saves a considerable amount of energy for occupants.
These pieces of London architecture are simply beautiful and are worth seeing if you’re in the area. Not only are they breathtaking on the outside, they are also mesmerizing from the inside. These experts are capable of so much, and the buildings they create help prove that. They can make even the wildest of dreams a reality so that they can help all types of clients create amazing buildings.